I read the article Away from the “icebergs” by Rick Anderson. One of the iceburgs to avoid is the "just in case" ordering materials to have in the library "just in case" someone might need the print material. We have discussed this in library staff development.
With the expansion of the internet Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 students and teachers can find primary and secondary sources on the web that would suit most research. The only problem comes in when teacher require print material and does not want the students to use the web for most of their sources. Web 2.0 means to me that we need to expand our learning curve as teachers, the students do use the social networking sites facebook and myspace. I do not think they have used blogs, wikis and podcast yet. I know some teachers have created these for their students to use, but they are in the minority. Web 2.0 means that we will have to continue to learn and expose teachers to the information. One large problem is that a lot of the websites you would need to have access to are blocked by our filter.
The other article I read was To a temporary place in time... by Dr. Wendy Schultz. Her Library 4.0 is about building communities. Student love to come to our library in the morning, most of the time it is for them to socialize. Schultz dream library would be wi free spaces (which we do have for teachers), a retreat from the technohustle, comfortable chairs, quiet, good light, and coffee. I think that we can manage this at our library if we could enlarge the library. We do have the smallest high school library in Mesquite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment